The techno world is mourning the loss of Garrett Falls Lockhart, otherwise known by his DJ name i_o. We’ve got five things to know about the musician.
EDM fans are grieving after it was revealed that deejay i_o — real name Garrett Falls Lockhart — had passed away on Nov. 23 at the young age of 30. His Twitter account shared the news, with an announcement that the “world lost a beautiful soul” with his tragic death. “This extremely talented spirit taught us that even if noting matters, you can still lead with love.”
“Garrett’s truth and soul lives on through the music he shared. Rest in peace Garrett, we love you,” the statement added. It did not include a cause of death for Garrett or where his untimely passing happened. We’ve got five things to know about the rising techno star.
— i_o (@i_oofficial) November 24, 2020
1. Garrett was promoting his music up until his death. On Nov. 20, he was promoting his latest single “Castles in the Sky” via his social media, and noted and extended remix was coming. He released the music video for the song on Nov. 21, two days before his passing.
2. Garrett had returned to performing live after the COVID-19 pandemic. He did a live show at Club Space Miami on Oct. 30. The day prior he promised it would be an epic night, tweeting, “first time back at space in 9 months? better believe im gonna hit another level tmrw. say your goodbyes.” He also recently performed at Orlando, FL club Celine on Fri. Nov. 13, 10 days before his death.
3. Garrett was embarking on a national tour in 2020 before the pandemic hit. He managed to play sold-out shows gigs in San Francisco, Salt Lake City, Hollywood, Boston, and Las Vegas before the coronavirus outbreak shut down live concerts due to social distancing and crowd regulations.
do u ever question ur life? pic.twitter.com/Ck5DUcZlOK
— i_o (@i_oofficial) November 18, 2020
3. Garrett asked a poignant question about “life” recently. In a Nov. 18 Instagram and Twitter post showing up atop his DJ platform, Garrett wrote, “do u ever question ur life?”
5. Garrett had missed performing for live audiences. In an Aug. 28 Instagram post, he showed video of himself getting atop his equipment before an adoring crowd at an EDM festival. He captioned, it, “mentally i’m here.” He shared a Sept. 13 Twitter video of him thrilling an audience at another festival and wrote, “bury me at the techno rave.”